Saturday, April 11, 2009

Majolica returns

I was disappointed when I heard that Majolica in Phoenixville was closing down, and happy when it turned out that they were retooling with a more affordable menu. They now have a $25 prix fixe menu, as well as a number of less expensive items. When we visited recently, I had the prix fixe, Garrett ordered off the menu. My dinner was excellent and a good value.

They started us out with a small piece of home-made focaccia, followed by the dinkiest little amuse bouche that I had ever seen. It was a tasty bite, but alas, I've forgotten what it was!

The prix fixe for the night included an excellent cauliflower soup, poured tableside over grana padana cheese. The main course selection was duck leg confit with white bean ragout and broccoli rabe... delicious, and a great combination of flavors. Dessert was mascarpone sorbet with candied kumquats and almond praline. The sorbet was interesting, creamy like an ice cream or gelato but a little bit lighter. Not too sweet, but very good. The kumquats and praline set it off perfectly.

Garrett had the blue mussels in pernod butter which were extremely delicious, followed by steak frites with house butter. The steak was perfectly cooked, but Garrett thought the frites were a little too crunchy, and they did not have ketchup or any other sort of dipping sauce (like the yummy bourbon mayonnaise you get at Monk's). It sort of reminded me of when Josh was a baby and I asked a waitress at a restaurant to stick his bottle in the microwave for a minute. She was aghast that I would even think that they might have a microwave on the premises.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home